CHATSWORTH PROPERTY MANAGEMENT
CANOGA PARK, TARZANA, GRANADA HILLS
Avoiding Discrimination Complaints
Just as when advertising your apartment or discussing it over the phone, you must avoid overt and implied discrimination when showing the apartment. Never mention sex, race, color, national origin, religion, disabilities, age, or sexual orientation. And don’t ask about the prospect’s marital or family status.
You may be exempt from federal Fair Housing Act requirements if you have only one unit to rent, but you still have to follow local and state laws and most likely don’t want to do anything that might provoke a fair housing complaint.
Even if your idea of a “perfect tenant” is an older person or couple, you cannot use that as criteria when you select a tenant. Only housing specifically designated by the city as a retirement community or senior housing can legally be rented to “seniors only.” These codes often are more stringent than the state and federal requirements. Check them out first.
So what if a family with six kids wants to rent your apartment? If the unit only has two bedrooms, you can turn that family down, based on the two-persons-per-bedroom, plus one, occupancy guidelines established by HUD.
Exerpt From Article
- by Judy Tremore and Deborah Boersma Zondervan
Since 1946 the Carnahan name has had a reputation for honest and ethical Real Estate Property Management services in the San Fernando Valley, Santa Clarita Valley, Burbank/Glendale, Los Angeles, Westside and Conejo Valley areas.
The reason for our success is helping owners like you when they need it. Below is a partial list of property management services we provide to help you protect your real estate investment.
- Tenant placement
- Tenant screening (including: credit check, landlord and employment verification, social security trace report, california eviction check and criminal check)
- Regular property inspections
- Accounting and landlord bill payment
- Monthly financial reporting
- Maintenance service and supervision (we use only proven independent vendors)
- We supply all the necessary forms to meet California’s Landlord/Tenant laws
- 24 hour emergency phone service
- Advertising to the broadest tenant base possible
Call or e-mail us today for more information. We’re ready to get started!
- Carnahan Property Management services Woodland Hills,West Hills, Calabasas, Canoga Park, Tarzana, Reseda, Topanga, Encino, Northridge, Van Nuys,North Hills,Chatsworth, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, North Hollywood, West Hollywood, San Fernando Valley, Granada Hills, Mission Hills, Simi Valley, West Lake Village, Agoura,Toluca Lake, Valley Village, Burbank. Call us at (818) 884-1500 and check if we can service your area.